Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Prescription

Stella and I went to see our vet on February 8, after a terrible night with the noises from the baseboard heater. I had been able to calm her down at bedtime on previous nights by holding her lightly across the chest and covering her with a blanket until she relaxed. This night, however, she never relaxed, and it felt like she was trying to crawl into my skin. She lay with her feet against my chest and her face on my face; her respiration was increased and I could feel her heart beating too fast. After 40 minutes, she heard a particularly sharp noise from the heater and jumped from the bed, which is not something that she usually does, and not something she should do--it's too far down for her. I finally let her pace, and eventually, after I fell asleep, she must have gotten tired enough to fall asleep in one of her dog beds.

I had been videotaping her in preparation for our visit with Dr. Dodman, and took the camera in to show our vet. Stella, paradoxically, is very happy to go see the vet, so he hasn't had a chance to see her in a different state. The videos struck him as revealing a "Jekyl and Hyde" personality--outgoing, happy Stella and agonized, terrified Stella. He decided to get her started on meds, which we predicted Dr. Dodman would suggest, and prescribed clomipramine at 20 mg per day (she weighs ten pounds) and xanax prn.

Posted are the videos I showed to our vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment